Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Music

I do love music... of all sorts... well, most sorts. I don't care for that loud angry metal stuff or cRap (sorry, but that's what it is to me). Since I love sunsets and nature too, I thought this pic was fitting for this "Thankful Thursday: Music" post since the birds remind me of notes on a music staff.

I did have to look up what those lines are called though (a music staff), as I took one semester with the flute when I was in middle school and I don't remember much... well, then there's that college music course I took... I didn't absorb much of that class either.... nevertheless, I do love music.

If it's not obvious already, I don't play an instrument, but I love the piano. It has been my favorite instrument for as long as I can remember (actually, we have a piano- was my grandmothers when she was alive). To me, a piano, more than any other instrument, can play a wider array of music with more dimension and depth. It just conveys more to me. I have added a couple of my favorite piano pieces to my Playlist down on the right. They are at the end of the list (Jessica's Theme & Fur Elise).

There's another piece there by Doug Smith. We have two of his CDs. He is from West Texas -from a farming family.... OMGosh can he play. I was only able to find a snippet of this one song that is on the Playlist. I say "can he play" -I don't believe he still can... we learned that in 2007, he was in a bad car accident... last I saw on his website was a note at the end of 07 saying that he couldn't come home even after 5 months and was confined to a wheelchair and unable to move his arms much. I know I sidetracked, but if you like Piano, he has some fabulous moving music you can get. [p.s. Just found this article written a year ago about his condition.]

So, Music... that's what I'm thankful for... it takes me places. Plus, I have this weird knack of being able to remember the words to a song very quickly (funny enough, I remember numbers well too... but, can I remember what I had for dinner last night?!?). You give me a Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel, Ann Murray, Waylon, Willie, Merle, Bee Gees... I'll stop ...but if I could get on that music lyric game show, I might be able to bring some bacon home ... great, now that ?? Osh-sha-lee ?? commercial song is in my head. I'm such a dork.

But I'm a music loving dork.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's NEIL, sweetheart, but I don't mind the misspelling, just happy you enjoy my music.

Bz said...

My sincerest apologies to you Mr. Diamond. I often do this typing late at night when I SHOULD BE in bed sleeping (then have it set to post in the wee hours).
On more than one occasion, I have reread the post the next AM to find I have editing to do (yikes). Am not sure I would have picked this one up, so thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! To have you, Mr. D, read my post is about the best!

Libby's Library said...

I do believe that the piano is the only instrument in which you must play, from both clefs at the same time. I used to be able to play really well, but after suffering brain damage 18 years ago, it has become much harder for me.

You should really enter the photo is a contest. It is priceless!

Anonymous said...

I would NEVER call you out for the world to see !!! I will give the Devil his due though as he also turned me on to N.D...Mr.D

Bz said...

For the record, this pic is borrowed from the www.

Robynn's Ravings said...

OH BZ.....Music is ONE of the things I love most about YOU. It attracted me to your site, I can tell you, and I'm usually turned off by blogs with music because they distract me so badly. But I LOVE your choices and know you and I could have a ROCKIN' good time together with some music blasting. I sing along to everything, too.

We are a musical family (except Grizzly). Both kids play piano - in fact I have a post coming up about HB. And HB and I play guitar as well. And we sing, too. My kids will never be concert pianists but HB teaches it and adds beautiful music around here, (including Jessica's Theme! which she played in a recital. Small world huh?)

I want to go visit Doug Smith's site and would love to have a CD of his. Oh, I could have listened to that endlessly. THANK YOU for sharing this post. I LOVED it.

Tatersmama said...

Bz, I'm heading over to Doug's site shortly, but you really hit a chord with me (chord... get it? I'm so funny!) with the piano music. I've always loved Floyd Cramer and have systematically replaced all my old Floyd Cramer records and tapes with his CD's.
Maybe it's a "memories" thing, since my mother absolutely adored FC.
My sister used to play the piano, but I took violin (fiddle) lessons for almost 20 years. I love it, but the ol' fingers aren't what they used to be. Plus the double chin gets in the way. ;-)

Any your playlist? Sometimes I just bring your site up, turn my volume up and go about my day !
I LOVE it!

Bz said...

TM... Floyd Cramer was a main inspiration for Doug Smith and he has written tribute pieces to him.