Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How Quickly They Grow

Our Little Someone is grrrooowwing (this is said in a forlorn tone).

You see, a few days ago, I combed through our daughter's clothes to separate all that she has outgrown. I have done this a few times now... and it always leaves me with a bittersweet aftertaste~ a "right in front of my very eyes, this shirt fit her not long ago" realization that she is growing, which is another symbol of Time Flying.

Just one of the shirts that our Little Someone has outgrown.

Before you say, 'well duh!'. First, I would ask if you have kids. If not and you're one of the, 'Well duh-ers' ...you don't count (sorry, it's just that your perception is inherently different). If you do have kids and you still say that... hmmm-I just don't know what to say... maybe you never had the total task of being your own child's caretaker.

You see, I'm a "stay-at-home-mom"- so, with the exception of when she sleeps and I take an errant shower (just kidding, it's not 'errant', but half of the time, my daughter and I take baths together-it's quicker!)... ANYway, with the exception of those times, she is in my presence. That's darn near her every waking moment. So, I see her all the time. Thus, I don't notice her growth. And I don't always stop and take note of time passing. So, when something waves at me with banners and flags yelling, "Hey, you! Just LOOK at this!" ...and it's symbolic of Time Flying, I get a little ... ? somber.

You know, it's Time that we cannot buy, beg for, grow, borrow or steal. It is absolutely out of our control (insert curse word). My husband and I had our daughter later in life. My husband and I were together 19 years before she came along. I'm not saying that we would change our timing decision, but... (sighhh)... I just hope we are around a long time for her... we both do.

**sighhh**

4 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

BZ, I feel what you feel. Apparently, a LOT. I had a dream last night in which I was trying to decide to give away a a non-existent vest of The Wild Man's and I just couldn't part with it. It no longer fit him but I couldn't part with that time of his life.

In reality, I have kept many of the kids' things for my someday grandchildren. Just seems like I'll be able to revisit when THEY were that size. boo-hoo-hoo!! (I'm WAYYYYY too sentimental.)

Tatersmama said...

I hear what you're sayin'.
It's sweet, but it's bittersweet at the same time.
My (33 yrs old) son still likes to sit on his momma's lap occasionally (we're gonna have to trade, I think) and he still lays his head in my lap so that I can stroke his bald head. Where did my baby go? Where did his hair go? LOL!
It's lovely to see him all grown up with a family of his own, but there are times I just ache for my "baby".

Anonymous said...

You need to buy another one of those shirts in a larger size for you special someone. ; )

Anonymous said...

Perhaps another little 'someone' would help ... not only with the clothes assuming it was another girl ... but they keep YOU young! Can I disguise that this comment is from a Grandma????