Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

I saw this video and it spoke such truth. This comedian (Louis CK) is hilarious and so spot on.

I sure hope most of the generation(s) coming up today don't continue the Entitlement Mentality that seems to be so prevalent these days. Though, as I watch things evolve with the 'world out there', I can get gloomy about it all. Okay, enough on that... I do like his rant.

Oh~ Don't forget to first scroll down and 'pause' the Playlist on the right so you can hear the video.

(video was posted here ~  transcript is below)


(both are speaking of earlier times...)

Louis CK: Those were simpler times I think. I just feel like we may be going back to that by the way, but, ah, in a way good because when I read things like the 'foundations of capitalism are shattering', I'm, like, maybe we need that.  Maybe we need some time where we're walking around with a donkey with pots clanking on the sides, ya know.

Conan O'Brien: You think that that would just bring us back to reality?

Louis: Yeah, because everything is amazing right now and nobody's happy.  In my lifetime the changes in the world have been incredible.  When I was a kid, we had a rotary phone.  We had a phone you had to stand next to and you had to dial it, you know?!?  You know, you ever realize how primitive that is, you're making sparks in a phone and you actually would hate people with zeros in their numbers 'cause it was more ... "oh, this guy's got two zeros, scrub that guy, why do I wanna dial him"- ugh.  And then if, if they called and you weren't home, the phone would just ring lonely by itself.  And then when, if you wanted money, you had to go in the bank when it was open, for like three hours.  You had to stand in line, write yourself a check like an idiot, and then when you ran outta money you just go, "Well I can't do any more things now".  'I can't do any more things' - that was it.  And.. and even if you had a credit card they, the guy'd go, ugh.. and he'd bring out this whole clunky card machine, 'shunk, shunk', and he'd write and he'd have to call the president to see if you had any money.....

Conan: It's all true kids. It was ridiculous.  Do you feel that we now, in the 21st century, we take technology for granted?

Louis: Well, yeah, 'cause now we live in, in an amazing, amazing world and it's wasted on the, on the crappiest generation of just spoiled idiots that don't care because, this is what people are like now. They got their phone and they're like "eeaagh, it won't.." ... well, give it a second! It's going to space!  Would ya give it a second to get back from space, it's the speed of light, it's true, it's true.

I was on a... I was on an airplane and there was internet, high speed internet on the airplane that's the newest thing that I know exists.  And I'm sitting on the plane and they go, "Open up your laptop and you can go on the internet."  And it's fast and I'm watching YouTube clips, it's amazing & I'm in an airplane!  And then it breaks down and they apologize that the internet is not working and the guy next to me goes, "Uhh, this is bull".  Like how quickly the world owes him something he knew existed only 10 seconds ago and on planes.

Flying is the worst one because people come back from flights and they tell you their story and it's like a horror story. It's... they act like their flight was like a cattle car in the 40's in Germany.  That's how bad they make it sound.  They're like "It was the worst day of my life. First of all we didn't board for 20 minutes and then we get on the plane and they made us sit there on the runway for 40 minutes. We had to sit there."  ....Oh really, what happened next?  Did you fly through the air incredibly like a bird? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight!?!... you non-contributing zero! Wow, you're flying!  It's amazing!  Everybody on every plane should just constantly be going, Oh my God, wow!  -I mean, you're flying!  You're.. you're sitting in a chair in the sky! .... They're like, "The chair, but it doesn't go back a lot. And it smells really..." ... You know, here's the thing. People -they say there's delays on flights -- delays! Really!?!  New York to California in 5 hours. That used to take 30 years to do that and a bunch of you would die on the way there and some have a baby. You'd be with a whole different group of people by the time you got there!  Now you watch a movie you take a dump and you're home!

5 comments:

Libby's Library said...

Man - I wish you could come over and teach me how to embed videos and voice streams into my blog! How did you learn to do all this stuff? I feel so computer illiterate!!!

Libby's Library said...

Oh - I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed the You Tube clip!

Lucas*Jennifer*Noah*Eleanor said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much this clip resonates with me!! My husband and I complain about this exact thing all the time!!

Bz said...

To embed YouTube videos, you first have to become a YouTube member ...it's just as easy as blogger (email and password).
Once a member, sign in to YouTube and find the video that you want to embed. Not all videos are "embed-able". You look on the right under where it gives info on the video. There is a box that will say, "Embed" ..followed by either "Embedding disabled by request" (can't embed these)
OR
it will say: Embed: (...followed by HTML code in the little white rectangle)
This is the code that you copy -once you have chosen your options (border around the video, etc).
Once you copy the code, go to make a new post in Blogger and click the 'Edit Html' tab above the post box and then paste your code.
You can put spaces in before or after the code to type stuff -and you can switch back and forth between the "Compose" tab and the "Edit Html" tab to check your work.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Oh I was ROARING!!!! Thanks for this one. I had to call Hannah-Bo in to sit and listen, too. Grizzly's next. Perspective is everything isn't it?!