Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Got a New Camera ~ Whoo-Hoo!

...and wow, is it NEAT! Sheesh, I shouldn't have waited so long to get one.

Am not going to be long on words today... but I would recommend clicking on some of these pics so you can see the DETAIL ...the wasp on the hummer feeder is quite amazing with that oblong back end on a stick. And I left it gargantuan so when you click, you'll see the spikes and hairs on his legs.

All the pics were taken at our place... sadly, the last one too (in our house!). Does anyone know WHAT kind of spider that is?? If you do, please send a comment. I would love to know what you think. My husband and I know it's not a brown recluse, wolf spider, black widow (they have a dot)... but we don't know what this is??

Needless to say, this was pic was taken right before his timely death.







6 comments:

Tatersmama said...

OMG! Those photos are fantastic! What kind of camera is it?
I thought mine was good, but man o man... it's but a poor cousin to your baby!

Eeeeps!!!! on the spider though. It kind of looks like an Australian Red Back and I went googling... but didn't find much.

This guy does identification though...
http://www.bugsinthenews.com/spiders_in_the_fern_bluff_mud.htm

Robynn's Ravings said...

Looks like a Johnson Jumper (jumping spider) to me. It would be indigenous to your area. They can bite but the bites aren't poisonous. Bo has been bitten by one while trying to catch it. We actually love jumping spiders and have kept one for a pet. The one that bit her only did so in self-defense because she accidentally pulled a leg off while trying to capture it. It hurt her feelings more than anything. They can have exquistely beautiful markings. Well, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder - or the 8 eyes, as it were! LOL

Yay!!!! for your new camera! HOW FUN!! I would really like to have one. One of these days. Then I'll REALLY be able to see how cruddy everything looks in my house!

Have fun and the photos are GREAT!! I love how the camera can show us what we'd never see with the naked eye. Go forth and shoot!

Bz said...

Wow... talk about the Information Hwy! Thank you both RR and Tmama. Indeed, it does look like a jumping spider... I went to the bugs site you gave me Tmama and there it was. Am glad to know it's not poisonous.... and RR?!? CATCHING them?!? ...a "pet"?!?
:-)!!!

Tatersmama said...

Hun, I think it's a California thing. LOL!
I used to keep daddy long-legs and take them for walks... but their damn legs kept falling off from the string.
And tarantulas? My kids had those everywhere! For crying out loud, there are a million of them outside - so why do you have to bring them IN the house??

You just wait til Little Someone gets older! *snort*

Dr.John said...

Wow! The clarity of those pictures is just fantastic. But as clear as they are I have no idea what kind of spider that is. But I do know I don't want one.
What camera are you using?

Libby's Library said...

I'm really impressed - truly!